IR LED (Infrared LED)
An IR LED is a specially designed LED which transmits infrared rays. These rays are not able to be seen by the human eyes as it’s not in the range of human visible electromagnetic radiation spectrum. We can only see light rays from violet to red whose wavelength travels from 380 (violet light) to 750nm (red light). ( Click for wide range of LED ).
The IR LED is the same aspect as the normal LED. IR LED stands for “Infrared Light Emitting Diode”, they allow emitting light with the wavelength of up to 940nm, which is the infrared range of electromagnetic radiation spectrum. The wavelength range varies from 760nm to 1mm. These are mostly used in the remote control of TVs, cameras and different types of electronic instruments. The semiconductor material used to make these LEDs are gallium arsenide or aluminum arsenide. Mostly used in the IR sensor it is the combination of the IR receiver and IR transmitter (IR LED).
The most common use of this LED is in the IR sensor, with a companion to the IR receiver. An IR sensor works as it sends an IR signal through the IR transmitter and receives through the IR receiver. If we placed an object near to the IR sensor the LED connected to the sensor goes high.
IR LED is used in various daily used electronic appliances. As in the remote of the television, infrared cameras, transmission systems. We can make various projects, a sensor using the IR LED like an obstacle detector, visitor-counter, and line-followers. An Infrared LED looks the same as a normal LED, but the human eye is not capable of seeing the IR light as it’s beyond our visible electromagnetic spectrum. We are only able to see a light having a wavelength ranges from 380 to 750nm. You can see an IR light through your phone camera, night-vision and etc.
The IR LED or Infrared LED has polarity i.e.it has a positive and negative pin. The pin which is long is the positive pin (anode) and the pin which is short is the negative pin (cathode) as shown in the above IR LED pinout.
- Forward current (IF) is 100mA (normal condition) and 300mA (max.)
- 1.5A of surge forward current
- 1.24v to 1.4v of forwarding voltage
- Temperature for storage and operation varies from -40 to 100 ℃
- Soldering Temperature should not exceed 260 ℃
- Power Dissipation of 150mW at 25℃ (free-air temperature) or below
- The spectral bandwidth of 45nm
- Viewing angle is 30 to 40 degree
- High Reliability
- Excessive radiant intensity
- Forward voltage is low
- Having lead spacing of 2.54mm
- Maximum wavelength is 940nm
- Pb free
- RoHS certified
- Easy to use with breadboard or perf board
- Package type is T-1 3/4
- Infrared applied systems
- Transmission system
- Optoelectronic switch
- Infrared remote control equipment’s
- Smoke detector
- IoT (internet of things) application
- Industrial equipment’s
Package Includes :
1 x IR LED (Pack of 5)