IRFZ44 N-Channel Power MOSFET
The IRFZ44N is an N-channel MOSFET with a high drain current of 49A and a low Rds value of 17.5 mΩ. It also has a low threshold voltage of 4V at which the MOSFET will start conducting. Hence it is commonly used with microcontrollers to drive with 5V. However, a driver circuit is needed if the MOSFET has to be switched in completely. ( Click for wide range of Transistors).
The IRFZ44N is known for its high drain current and fast switching speed. Adding to that it also has a low Rds value which will help in increasing the efficiency of switching circuits. The MOSFET will start turning on with a small gate voltage of 4V, but the drain current will be maximum only when a gate voltage of 10V is applied. If the MOSFET has to be driven directly from a microcontroller like Arduino then try the logic level version IRLZ44N MOSFET.
Unlike transistors, MOSFETs are voltage-controlled devices. Meaning, they can be turned on or turned off by supplying the required Gate threshold voltage (VGS). IRFZ44N is an N-channel MOSFET, so the Drain and Source pins will be left open when there is no voltage applied to the gate pin. When a gate voltage is applied these pins get closed.
If it is required to be switched with Arduino, then a simple drive circuit using a transistor will work to provide the required gate voltage to trigger the MOSFET to open fully. For other switching and amplifying applications, a dedicated MOSFET Driver IC is required.
IRFZ44N with 5V gate
If the MOSFET gate pin is directly connected to an I/O pin of a microcontroller like Arduino, PIC, etc. Then it will not open completely and the maximum drain current will depend on the voltage applied to the gate pin. The below graph shows how much drain current is permitted for gate threshold voltage from 4V to 10V.
|Pin Number||Pin Name||Description|
|1||Source||Current flows out through Source|
|2||Gate||Controls the biasing of the MOSFET|
|3||Drain||Current flows in through Drain|
- Small signal N-Channel MOSFET
- Continuous Drain Current (ID) is 49A at 25°C
- Pulsed Drain Current (ID-peak) is 160A
- Minimum Gate threshold voltage (VGS-th) is 2V
- The maximum Gate threshold voltage (VGS-th) is 4V
- Gate-Source Voltage is (VGS) is ±20V (max)
- Maximum Drain-Source Voltage (VDS) is 55V
- Rise time and the fall time are about 60ns and 45ns respectively.
- It is commonly used with Arduino, due to its low threshold current.
- Available in To-220 package
- Switching high power devices
- Control speed of motors
- LED dimmers or flashers
- High-Speed switching applications
- Converters or Inverter circuits
Package Includes :
1 x IRFZ44 49A 55V N Channel Power MOSFET Transistor IC (Pack of 3)