LM7809 9V Positive Voltage Regulator IC
Voltage regulators are very common in electronic circuits. They provide a constant output voltage for a varied input voltage. In this case, the 7809 IC is a positive 9V regulator, meaning it provides +9V as output. The name 7809 signifies two meanings, “78” means that it is a positive voltage regulator and “09” means that it provides +9V as output. So our 7809 will provide a +9V output voltage. (Click for more voltage regulators )
The output current of this IC can go up to 1A, but the IC suffers from heavy heat loss hence a Heat sink is recommended for projects that consume more current.it has internal current limiting, thermal shut down and safe operating area protection, making it essentially indestructible. Although designed primarily as fixed voltage regulators, these devices can be used with external components to obtain adjustable voltages and currents.
positive voltage regulators are mainly used in Op-Amp and other circuits where a positive supply voltage is needed. In many cases where an Op-Amp is working in dual mode power supply, a positive voltage will be regulated by these 78XX ICs.
The LM7809 is a three-pin IC.
Pin 1 (Input): The Input pin is the pin that accepts the incoming DC voltage, which the voltage regulator will eventually regulate down to +9volts.
Pin 2 (Input): Connected to Ground.
Pin 3 (Output): The Output pin is the regulated +9 volts DC.
- 9V Positive Voltage Regulator
- Output Voltage: +9V
- Output Current: 5A
- Minimum Input Voltage is 11V
- Maximum Input Voltage is 25V
- Operating current(IQ) is 5mA
- Internal Thermal Overload Protection
- Internal Short-Circuit Current Limit
- Junction Temperature maximum of 125 degree Celsius
- Available in the TO-220 package.
- Constant +9V output regulator to use as a power or reference voltage for analog and digital circuits.
- Current Limiter for certain applications
- Regulated Dual Supply
- Output Polarity-Reversal-Protection Circuit
1 x LM7809 9V Positive Voltage Regulator IC (Pack of 3)